Sunday 11 November 2018

Week 8 - everyone gets an 8!

It's week 8, but otherwise known as Blackpool preview week, will they get to Blackpool week, teach an American what Blackpool is week, and Claudia in Blackpool gags week - you know the drill, and you love it! I also love Claudia's spangly jumpsuit that somehow looks glam and comfortable, there's nothing that woman can't do.

Kate and Aljaz
These two continue to be a scream, taking on the randomness of a wedding-themed quickstep with all the camp it deserved. This was a return to form for Kate, easily her best dance in weeks and delivered with the zingy energy you want from a quickstep. Hardly any gapping to be seen (I was looking, judges!) and fleet of foot, with attention to detail and posture. Onwards and upwards Kate!
It's getting to that point in the competition when the Kates of the world start to be at risk. Unless they up their game. And she did. This quickstep was nifty and swift. I think she's perhaps only got a few more weeks left in her, but I hope I'm wrong. 

Danny and Amy
This was a very...precise samba. There were plenty of steps and executed in time, but it didn't capture the feel of the samba and I agree with Craig it was a bit stiff. Will he make it to the top of the leaderboard again like he did with the jive, when everything just came together, I don't know. We need another breakout moment from this pair.
OK. So I really liked this. Is that weird? I like his dance style - the musicality and sheer joy was lovely. And I liked the sharpness. Yes I know there could have been more fluidity but it was not half as bad as the comments (and score) he received. I was genuinely surprised at them. 

Ashley and Pasha
Oh goody, contempo once again - although at least they've already done a non-contempo-waft rumba so it's not like they're retreading territory. This was always going to be good, but I wasn't prepared for the complete fluidity of movement and seamless transitions. Pasha didn't even do much, he just left it all to Ashley! But as ever, I'm wondering what this two would now do for a showdance in the final, that could've easily brought the house down.
So getting a 10 for a contempowaft is the new Donny 10. Official. (OK, OK, I know it was great but I'm struggling to care.)

Graeme and Oti
If there's one thing we've learned this series, there's no hairstyle Oti can't pull off, even when she's encased in a neon bin liner. I'm not sure what I just watched: it felt like a comedy routine, but Graeme isn't a comedy contestant - there was just too much theming. As random as the song was, I think the heavy beat helped him stay on time. Good lifts too, when this hasn't been a vintage year for celebs being able to do lifts. This was clearly overmarked, but whatever, get him to Blackpool!
Cuban? This was about as Cuban as a sack of turnips. I really like Graeme but no, this was not good. I much preferred Danny's samba. 

Faye and Giovanni
I never thought the Italian ice cream seller trope would last this long on Strictly, but the cultural stereotype lives on! I think we all knew this was going to be about Faye trying to keep up, but I felt they were a bit disconnected throughout, it didn't feel like they were dancing as a pair. As Shirley said, it was fine, but it didn't really have any pizzazz. Bruno really strayed into Donny 10 territory here.
Pleasant. But when did pleasant last win the show?

Stacey and Kevin
The latest in the dances-that-actually-look-like-the-dance shocker, this was as lovely as a waltz should be. Maybe Pasha raised the bar last week, with the most foxtrotty of foxtrots? The focus on the technical aspect and the work they'd put in was much appreciated. Also, lovely frock and now-typical massive bouffant hair. Undermarked after Graeme got 8s for the aerobics on acid routine.
Stacey brings a real authenticity to everything she does, which makes it a joy to watch every week. I don't think she could have been partnered with anyone better. They just go. 

Joe and Dianne
Who knew that drummers dressed for a spangly apocalyptic hellscape? I had forgotten this was chuffing MmmBop until the music started, and I actually think it was too slow for a samba. As predicted in the VT, bless him, he tried his best but it wasn't really his thing and it all went a bit loosey-goosey. I doubt his legions of fans are going to desert him, so he'll be packing his bucket and spade for Blackpool (do millennials even know what that is?).
Mmm bop for Samba? Mmm, no. 
Frankie, my dear, by definition I'm pretty sure we are millennials ourselves, albeit the really old ones. I'm taking agin that comment. Joe's fans'll be the next lot. Again, I liked Danny's samba more. 

Lauren and AJ
Remember all the way back in week 1 when Lauren did a waltz and we all thought 'ooh that was good'? It's taken us all this time to get back to here! I could have done without AJ's random sweep-the-floor moment, but she took the actual waltz content in her stride. Confidence has been key for Lauren so far this series, and it looks like she's getting there.
Awwwww this was a Matt-Dawson-After-His-Acting-Class breakthrough! Loved it. 

Charles and Karen
I was not expecting Charles to be good at the Charleston, he's a tall and heavyset guy in a dance that's supposed to be nimble and nippy, but this was actually pretty good! He could swivel, but also swivel in a sort of casual way that really suited the number - this was certainly a rare gurn-free Charleston. Great lifts too, as you would expect. This wasn't a Charleston for the ages, but it was executed with skill and character. 
I liked this funky, cool interpretation of a charleston. And it was executed well. I don't expect to see him in the dance off this time, but if he is, whoever else is there is likely to be in trouble again. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Pleasant. But when did pleasant last win the show?” How about every year for the past fourteen years? The most anodyne contender each year almost always wins.