Sunday 21 November 2021

Good Mornin', You Revolting Children!

We're back with a theme week, instead of Blackpool! Life really is cruel sometimes. As ever, whenever a theme week gives us something good, it also takes something away. In this case, the routines either looked reassuringly normal or overwhelmed by the theme, with very few inbetween. We also lost poor Craig to Covid for the week, which felt particularly mean, but did bring is us the lovely and rather impressive booking of Cythia Erivo! 
AJ and Kai
After last week's travesty of paso scoring, I was very happy to see AJ back in some beautiful classy ballroom. Even if she's dressed as one of the Supremes for some reason. A waltz is never going to blow people away like, say, a jive, but this was absolutely beautiful. Her frame is amazing and there was so much rise and fall in the routine. Throw in some fake snow and I'm totally happy, she's set a very high standard for tonight.
I'm glad she wasn't picked apart at a different standard to everyone else this week and also the fact that this dance could have been from any week, not just a themed one. It was pretty delightful.

Rhys and Nancy
Not a massive change of gears after last week's Charleston, the gear being fifth and full throttle. I think this was actually my favourite dance from Rhys, he performed it really well and it felt like a coherent dance. Saying that, it was a bit sloppy in places and a jive needs to be more technically accomplished than a Charleston. Also, a round of applause for Rhys and Nancy actually being given nice outfits rather than fancy dress costumes - and in a theme week of all things!
I really liked it. Those who are saying it's unfair he got two dances in a row that suit him just think about the poor bloke if he ends up in the semi-finals with only a waltz and a rumba left. Or something like that. 

Tom and Amy
Steeling myself for the first of TWO bloody Couples Choice this week, I notice Amy looks perfect for Les Mis. This really suffered from the style of dance for me, it felt a bit jerky in place considering it's such a flowy piece of music. It's also not easy to try and tackle contempo the week after Rose and Gio did such an amazing performance last week. It wasn't terrible, but it didn't gel and the stakes are certainly getting higher were week this series.
Can I just have a free pass not to comment on any more Couples Choice? I mean, it was kind of contempo piece, but it didn't quite come together.

Rose and Gio
Another person I'm so glad to see back in ballroom. This was downright cute, but I think it suffered a bit from the theme. I would rather have seen Rose do a full-on Hollywood quickstep. Saying that, they did it with pep and it was clearly a quickstep and Gio didn't skip on the content. She also managed the transitions in and out of hold very well, which is even more impressive when you think she has to keep time between the two.
Cute. Technically nice. Would have been far nicer if their costumes didn't look like they were from the bargain bucket at The Disney Store. Fine, keep the music but Rose in a stunning quicksteppy gown and Gio in proper ballroom garb? Yes please. 
 
John and Johannes
This was one of the routines I was really waiting for and it totally delivered. Great song and perfectly suited to the style of dance, plus Jojo put together a really fun routine with lots of elements. John's arms are also getting really really good, so lyrical. I agree with the judges that he needs to just push it a tiny bit more, he needs to hit on another great dance for him like the paso. Slightly undermarked in my humble opinion...
I really liked this. I thought actually that Johannes looked mildly uncomfortable when taking on the follower role - his frame could have been much nicer. But yeah, I love how these two dance together; they are completely in sync.

Tilly and Nikita
This routine didn't seem like a great idea when I first heard about it...and yep, I was right. A slightly obscure song, unflattering outfits, and no clear dance style, I couldn't see this saving Tilly from the bottom 2 again - until she got a completely ridiculous 40 for it. Not against her personally, she did the routine well and really threw herself into it, plus Nikita in short trousers was a fun addition.
Nothing against Tilly, but I can't even. 

Dan and Nadiya
Dan in the pimp slot? Swiveling away with a jolly smile? Genuinely looking like the original musical? Who would have thought?! I suppose his natural dorkiness helped for a Charleston, but he genuinely showed some musicality, it's taken him a while to get there but him and Nadiya work so well with each other. Also wanted to mention that the lifts were ambitious but executed well. It wasn't one for the ages, but it was a delightful way to end a rather odd theme week! 

This was cute and peppy, and if it's his last week (which I'm sure is not quite yet, but is creeping upon us) then what a high to end on. He's the embodiment of what Strictly is about but his time is coming.  Bill held his own against last year's best, best dancers; Dan does not. He's an absolute joy to watch though and I very much enjoyed this routine.

No comments: