Saturday 27 November 2021

Rumba in the Jumble

I think you're all painfully aware that out of the two of us, Frankie is the very lovely, positive one. Well boo hiss boo, she's not here and you're stuck with me. I've found this series very hit and miss so far, but I'll try my best to be nice. It's rarely the dancers I'm frustrated with - they all work hard and do a lovely job with what they're given. But the scoring and production choices this year have been a little more bizarre than usual... 


But hey, let's get on to the dancing...

Rose and Giovanni

Was it me or did the music blend into some notes from The Final Countdown? Now it's unlikely Rose is going to do a bad dance now. And this was - technically - her usual high standard. But something about the choreography didn't spark for me this time. So often pasos can be the most exciting, stand out dances in any series but we really do seem to be struggling with them this year. I absolutely love these two however and if they do not make the final I'll have a proper tantrum.

Dan and Nadiya

This could have been terrible. But it really wasn't. Simple, classic choreography saved the day. Not trying to be intense and ... uh... slutty also saved the day. It wasn't the best rumba we've ever seen on the show but if you'd have told me prior to this series that Dan Walker would pull off this dance without being made to look a fool, I'd have slapped you on the head with a pickle. But yeah, credit where credit's due. A nice job.

AJ and Kai

Loved the mega-fringy green dress. But what was this? Couple's Choice was bad enough when they focused on a particular style, but now it's anything goes, I really don't get the point. Anton said 'commercial jazz' - was that it then? I don't know enough about it to know. It was really well danced and they were completely in sync...but I just can't get on board with these routines.

Rhys and Nancy

For a dance that no one expected would suit him, what an excellent job. I saw an absolutely gorgeous step sequence in the middle of the routine, and his frame, whilst not perfect, was so improved you could have knocked me down with a handful of sequins. I'm stuck somewhere in between Shirley and Craig on this one. Not literally. That would be weird.

Tilly and Nikita

Even Tilly knew this wasn't going to be her dance. It was worse than I expected however - not for want of effort - that I could see in buckets. But Tilly's body just wasn't moving in the way it should for samba. There was a little bounce but the action was awkward,  and there was no fluidity. But again, Nikita could have helped by choreographing routine that actually suited her. Loved the dress and her pure pluck with this one.

John and Johannes

I really wanted to love this. And it was the dance I was most looking forward to. But - oh I'm so sorry everyone, I really am a misery guts - I wasn't all that keen. And it's not because it wasn't a spectacular, well danced routine - it was. This was a paso/tango/showdance and not what I would have expected from an Argentine Tango. Craig made the point that it originally would have been danced by two men - I had forgotten that, and he swayed me a second - but no, would a tango in downtown Buenos Aires in the 1860s have looked like that? \Really? If yes, then I take it back. 


No comments: