Sunday 12 December 2021

The Sensational Semi-Final!

It's time to load up on snacks and go to the loo, we've made it to the semi finals and everyone is doing two dances. It's going to get emotional, don't say we didn't warn you... 
Rhys and Nancy
It's so much nicer to see these two doing proper routines in nice outfits rather than having to raid the fancy dress shop, loving Nancy's leather and tulle look. Now, I went into this wanting to hate the song, but Rhys had apparently lobbied really hard for it and I think it paid off in the end, he was clearly channeling his performance through it. It didn't have the surprise or drama of his Argentine Tango, but he drove through the routine well. His frame was a bit loose, but he's come on in leaps and bounds in recent weeks.  

Now personally I'm not a fan of the song for a tango but there's something to be said for a celeb really loving what they're dancing to. I was impressed with Rhys' conviction about it because it certainly worked far better than I thought it was. This was sharp and bold and I liked it. Rhys has been the biggest surprise for me this year - John, AJ and Rose have been on my list for the final since nearly the beginning, but Rhys is really giving them a run for their money.

AJ and Kai
Was ever a more classic quickstep ever quickstepped? A joy from start to finish, they got straight into it and didn't let up for a moment, all whilst looking like they were having the most marvelous time. As ever with a quickstep, I was on Gap Watch, but no gapping could be seen. There isn't a huge amount more to say, they work so well together and I just wanted to sit back and enjoy it. A well-deserved 40!

Eeeep! Classic, classic costumes. Classic, classic choreography. And an absolute gem of a piece of music (now we have got past the fact that they re-use them...) What an absolute beauty to pull out on semi-final week. 
 
John and Johannes
Oh my cold, cynical, couple's choice-hating heart, I couldn't bring myself to hate this. It was full-on, unabashed contempo, which actually worked because it made for a fully realised routine that they both committed to. Particular shout-out to the amazing steps-in-the-air move. I do agree with Craig that it was the first time John felt like the lead of the routine, no criticism of Johannes because he is just so good, but John took a step up here like you need in the semi-final.

It's not their fault but I soooo do not like Couple's Choice. However, there was a cool piece of choreography I did like, and that was when Johannes was walking upside down whilst being held up by John. 
 
Rose and Giovanni
Ah, a classic waltz from Rose and Gio. They even overcame their song being wrestled into the right time frame and carried it off with effortless grace. The whole thing was so smooth and Rose's hold is now wonderful. I also appreciated how calm and peaceful the routine was, it's nice to have a quiet moment during these insanely intense semi-finals.  

There was no doubt this was going to be lovely, was there? I'm mightily thankful they did bother to re-arrange the piece of music, and given I'm hardly familiar with the original, it didn't jar with me at all. I was mostly just captivated by the beautiful dance. Rose is quite astonishing.

ALL CHANGE, LET'S GO ROUND AGAIN.... MAYBE WE'LL TURN BACK THE HANDS OF TIIIIIIIIME...*

*showing my age there...

Rhys and Nancy
If you'd told me Rhys was doing a samba in week 2 I would have hidden behind the sofa, but I went into this quite excited...and they definitely delivered a party routine! Props to Nancy for this, she put together a routine with loads of samba content and let Rhys bounce to his heart's content. Oh it was as camp as knickers, but all the better for it. Some slightly manic shimmies, but massive fun.

This. Was. So. Much. Better. Than. I. Expected. Bravo, Rhys, Bravo. And I really liked the band's arrangement too. This semi-final is really strong. 
 
AJ and Kai
Oh a semi-final rumba, what a gamble. You're never going to blow the roof off with it, but you can get a lot of kudos for mastering what is genuinely the most difficult dance. If anyone was going to pull off a rumba with chemistry it was these two, but you could also see the hard work that had gone into it. Great synchronicity and fluidity about, it was a whole dance rather than a series of steps. I also really liked how Anton called it elegant and classy, thankfully they resisted the temptation to go for raunch. 

I really, really thought they were going to go for raunch - and whilst it had its intensity, it managed to stay on the polite side of rumba. It was elegant and AJ's lines were exquisite. I was not expecting her body movement to be great given her salsa was a little rigid but no, I was wrong. Basically loved it.

John and Johannes
This was the dance I was most worried about tonight; John's a big guy and the jive needs to be light-of-foot. Plus Coldplay. It turned out to be much more interesting than I expected! It wasn't a typical jive, quite swingy in places, and whilst there were jive steps I felt like I was watching something quite different. Which I suppose is better than the nine millionth Grease routine. John also gave it everything and pulled off the technique pretty well, so hopefully it stands him in good stead.

Unfortunately my WiFi went boo boo whilst John was dancing and I missed most of it. Having gone back and watched, I can't say I'm sold on the music. However, it was an excellent job with what they had - he really is a natural dancer. I know they've said it to AJ, but you do think if he'd started dancing as a kid, he'd be a pro. 

Rose and Giovanni
This looked good on ITT this week, my expectations were high, but ooft this surpassed them! The drama, the drama, from the opening seconds I knew they'd be delivering something awesome. I liked how Rose's natural fluidity wasn't lost among it, but she could do those jigsaw-legs with the best of them, she was like an electric whisk! Plus the lifts were beautiful, not over the top, but done with poise and transitioned wonderfully. What a final it's going to be next week!

Rose, you absolute BEAUTY. I haven't much to say other than reiterate what Frankie said. Expectations were high and expectations were surpassed.  


No comments: