Sunday 4 November 2018

Back to the Ballroom

It's that time of year where we breathe a sigh of relief that Halloween is over, and we can start stanning for Blackpool all over again. However, it does also mean we're halfway through this series! Tonight also felt like it was dominated by the ballroom side of things, which is a nice feeling to have.

Lauren and AJ
From what we saw on ITT it seemed like this song was driving them crazy and they were just going to be gibbering heaps on the floor, and the outfits were also very much stuck in the early 2000s. I didn't enjoy this and I'm not sure what the judges were going on about - yes, it was FINE as a dance, but I thought our standards were higher in week 8. I am afeared for these two this week.

Graeme and Oti
I'm all for kitsch and milking the Gran Card if it gives us a lovely bit of classic ballroom and Oti in a fabulous frock. This was impressive after last week's seriously off Halloween number, and showed a lot of hard work and commitment to posture and doing it old-school. We all love a waltzing cricketer like the days of yore. As Shirley said, it made us feel all fuzzy!

Kate and Aljaz
The one we were all waiting for this week, coming on slightly early and in some very mismatched outfits. The thing they have working for them is that it's a great partnership, and that showed in this routine and gave it some much-needed intensity. However, it just wasn't sharp enough for me, the old jigsaw legs need to be done on a razor edge. By no means was this a bad dance, it just had the weight of expectation and a busted rib on it.

Dr Ranj and Janette
We all know our favorite doctor loves a party dance, but this was better executed than I was expecting. It had actual bounce and momentum, and the routine had more pure samba than we would expect. It wasn't the most wonderfully executed routine, but it was fun, and they turned Janette into a human Catherine wheel without any health and safety disasters. I think this has kept him in another week.

Stacey and Kevin
Street Commercial, the genre we've all been crying out for. At least this wasn't hip hop, or was it? I actually can't tell - but I kinds of liked the surreal dream-like quality of it. Probably my favorite Couple's Choice number so far, and I would like to watch it again - but just to assure you, this is not me converted.

Danny and Amy
I had in the back of my head that Danny would walk off with the quickstep and skip to the top of the leaderboard, but this was a right dog's dinner of a number. The parts of out of hold, as ever, were really lovely and light, but that's not what the quickstep is about and the mistakes made it look like he was just jogging alongside Amy. Disasters happen and he is very much The Show Must Go On, maybe if he ends up in the bottom 2 he can pull it off?

Ashley and Pasha
What a frothy little treat this was! Lovely outfits, classic music, all the content - it was what happens when all the pieces of a foxtrot comes together. I almost wanted it to be an American Smooth with a big lift at the end, but it had enough razzmatazz that they carried through. That very difficult balance of hard work and making it look effortless. I don't know why I was surprised, but I properly booed Craig for only giving it a nine.

Faye and Giovanni
This was a sharp and edgy tango, with the kind of drama you want - but something just didn't really click for me. It might have been the cube distracting me, because I was waiting for someone to stub their toe on it, or Faye's Ann Summers outfit. I cannot deny the footwork and posture was pretty awesome though, and it did indeed look like a tango.

Charles and Karen
This was one of those numbers that is greatly improved by an appropriate song, which swept them away quite nicely. It didn't blow our minds, because that's pretty much impossible for a VW, but we all had a nice time and Charles showed some improvement.

Joe and Dianne
Well there is no way Joe could have done a paso doble seven weeks ago when this started. Fair play to Dianne for putting together a routine to stretch but not completely overwhelm him. They also focused on the basics with posture and lines, which looked like it paid off. Plus extra points for the Tom Chambers paso smell-the-fart face with occasional flashes of the old rabbit-in-the-headlights Joe.

No comments: