Sunday 13 October 2019

You had me at cucuracha...

Roll up, roll up, it's time to celebrate the first Strictly of the season that comes in at under two hours! Now, we love all things Strictly, but my gosh those marathon shows at the start can wear down a blogger. However, there's still plenty to discuss this week, as the competition has definitely moved up a notch and all sorts of crazy things went on (just look at the scoreboard), so let's get to it!
Chris and Karen
This was a great way to start the show, and also I think Chris might have bottled it if he'd had to wait any longer. Yes, it was a bit frantic and I just wanted him to point his toes just ONCE, but his confidence really has come on in leaps and bounds - I don't think he quite realises that he's doing something close to proper dancing. Fair play to Karen for not making everything totally comedy though, they're one of my favourite partnerships this series. Also, Karen is WINNING the costumes this series. 
OK, so points for feathers and a dance delivered with muchos amplomb. But yeah, flexed and flat-footed - I'm not as down with that as dear Shirls. Timing about as good as Northern Rail. Only Karen could pull off Bacofoil and look like a star. 

Emma and Anton
The last time Emma did ballroom she looked like she was being held hostage, and whilst this wasn't exactly a happy dance, she was clearly in the zone and totally committed to it. Yes, there was enough ham you could smell the bacon, but you can't exactly do carefree to Send In The Clowns. As Shirley said, Emma has a really good frame and top line, and the whole thing flowed beautifully. Fair play to Anton too for putting a VW together that was different but still familiar.
Classic Anton ballroom. I mean, if they struggled to pull this off there would be no hope. It was lovely but I'd rather have seen more in hold. Emma's face when she saw her 9s though - just darling.

Dev and Dianne
This was a little bit different for a cha cha, but I quite liked what Dianne did with it - it wasn't a camp eyes-and-teeth extravaganza, but still a cha cha routine. Agree with the judges that it was a bit patchy, but I also think they were a bit harsh, considering there was some impressive hip action and some pretty good fluidity for early on. Also, I don't think anyone has tried to rock a fringed catsuit since Laila Rouass and that was just to distract us from the fact she couldn't jive, go Dianne!
I can't quite work out what was wrong but something about this just didn't work. The song choice was hardly catchy. But his technique wasn't too bad. His timing and musicality was good. Diane's carwash-esque costume was a highlight. I hope he's safe... such potential there. 

Catherine and Johannes
I was quite excited for this one and it lived up to all our campest Strictly dreams. It looked exhausting, but completely enjoyable from start to finish. I agree with Craig though that Johannes had cranked it up to 11 and forgot to try and make Catherine look good, I can't blame him though. The lifts were a bit disappointing too, trying not to be a downer here though, because it was a delight nonetheless!
Firstly, how much fun are these two, just generally?! I hated this music choice for Charleston though. The whole thing seemed super-forced - just to fit it to the music. And no amount of hot, hot pink could change that. 

Alex and Neil
Probably Alex's best technical performance so far, but what a duff routine. The music wasn't suited to a tango, too much faffing about, and she really got short-changed in the frock department. I was just left feeling a bit 'meh', which is never a good sign. Please get your breakthrough soon!
I, like many,  thought Alex might be naturally better than she is. I'm not saying she's bad and it's great to see her improve,  but I'm not convinced it's going to be enough to reach anywhere near the final stages. She seems so self-conscious. If she could fall in love with it and let go a little it would help.

David and Nadiya
I have to say I was apprehensive about David doing a quickstep, but who would've thunk it would be his best dance?! It was a borderline Michael Vaughan moment. I say borderline, because the routine went off at a random tangent that involved them hopping up and down for quite a bit - what was that about? He was much better in hold. Nadiya did have an absolutely cracking dress though, so she's partially forgiven.
Loved Nadiya's dress. But David really isn't the greatest showman. Having said that, it was an improvement for sure - his energy increased tenfold. That was no way 7 or 8 levels imo, but I thought it'd be all over for David... maybe it won't be now. 

Kelvin and Oti
A third rumba for the series, we are really being spoiled. We all knew he could move his hips, but there's a long way between that and doing a rumba. But this was a proper down and dirty rumba, no contempo-waft and all about the proper steps. Bravo Oti for that routine! It was like they were having a competition to out-sultry each other. Another thing I wanted to mention, Kelvin has massive hands, but seems to know how to use them, hurrah!
If any bloke was going to pull off a rumba, it was always going to be Kelvin.  His natural talent is absolutely extraordinary.  Loved the music. Loved the simple black silhouettes. Loved Kelvin's musicality. Loved the choreography. He steals the spotlight from Oti Mabuse - I doubt there are many in the world who can do that.

Emma and Aljaz
Emma secretly hates that outfit, I just know it. This was slightly 'meh' dance number two, all the steps were there and in the right order, but it was all a bit prim and proper. No idea why the judges went crazy over it, I doubt I will remember it on Monday.
Oh it was OK. But seriously didn't like the band's arrangement for a jive. It just seemed rushed and jolty. The dance didn't have much spring but it really didn't seem like she had time for it. Pffft. Aljaz is just a joy, though. 

Michelle and Giovanni
It's like late 80s Cher decided to dress up as acid-trip Barbie, that outfit is really not doing it for me. This was probably the first time I've seen Michelle struggling to keep up with Gio, who for some reason was completely on fire during this dance. She said she was struggling during training and it showed, but she's not the type to go off and cry about it, just chalk it up to experience and march on!
CELIA EFFING CRUZ for salsa. Be still my beating corazon. Quimbara is very quick so she did well. And it had such a laid-back, social dance vibe to it, some genuine salsa moves and decent technique. 

Will and Janette
Quite happy to see Will doing a dance that you can't get by on by just being super-enthusiastic, and even with the sightly off theme it had more foxtrot in it than I was expecting. As ever, he is simply not good in hold, but they did have a stab at it. Not much to take away from this really, apart from that they really need to work on the ballroom stuff.
I rarely find a foxtrot exciting but this was pleasant. Frustrating how it's perfectly fine to have a Spanish theme though yet there is rarely a Spanish themed Paso. Which is, you know, actually Spanish. 

Mike and Katya
Again, I wasn't expecting much from a Mike quickstep, but this was clearly his best dance! Maybe it just takes a few weeks to bed in with some people, bringing together skill and performance. Not a bad routine from Katya either, apart from the random trip to the stairs at the end. The main thing I was impressed by was the complete lack of gapping, I'm all about the gapping in a quickstep. As surprised as I was, this was not worth a nine!
Not usually one to comment on the private lives of the dancers and whatnot but I do wonder whether anyone's stopped to consider that the reason Katya is quite emotional is because she's also had a genuinely tough year. She really is one of the most talented choreographers and teachers in Strictly's whole run - always working with her partners' strengths. Whilst I didn't necessarily see exactly what the judges saw in this routine, it was a marked improvement. Something we've come to expect from her. Respect.

Saffron and AJ
Gosh, there was so much in this for me not to like, but I couldn't bring myself to hate it. It was so ridiculously cheesy and contempo-waft, but bless her she'd worked hard and put all of herself in it. Plus she kept up with AJ, which was pretty hard in that routine. Also, she's surprisingly good at lifts! She's no Joe Sugg, but she's trying.
Urgh, it's couple's choice. Do I have to comment?

Karim and Amy
This was much more tango-y than I was expecting, mainly because the two of them grabbed it with both hands and did not let go for a second. It was sharp and sexy and all the things you want from a tango, apart from a perfect song, but I've basically given up on that.  Karim also looked like a totally different person. When you think they both had the lurgy this week too, it's even more impressive that no one sneezed on anyone. 
Blimey he's good. I'd still prefer a tango to have more of a tango mood, but I have been harping on about that for years. Karim is a dead cert for the final I'm sure of it. He has a rival for natural talent in Kelvin but Karim is currently (and understandably due to prior training) more polished.

1 comment:

Nicky said...

Viscountess Emma being in dance off (and according to strictlyspoiler, she was bottom of the favourites poll) proves that the super rich aren't appealing for votes, combined with her having a weak fanbase, and near bottom positions of leaderboard

she danced well, but no one votes for a billionaire daughter married into a title, with own private zoo

i'm speaking about certain viewers who think like that