Saturday 7 December 2019

Semi Final Showdown

Having not enjoyed the last few weeks, I am most surprised to have found tonight's show a rather entertaining affair. Hurrah!


Emma and Anton - 

Firstly Emma's cha cha dress was glorious. Cha cha was not however. Unless you count writhing your backside against Anton for any number of counts. Which I'm going to assume most people don't. There were hesitant mistakes and legs were as bent as bananas but I genuinely can't fault the performance. Her likeability is so strong she almost cancels out Anton's lack of it. As for the waltz, it was lovely. A dainty piece of music and the navy blue costumes made it all quite magical. Even a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have thought Emma might make the final. Guess I was off the mark.

Kelvin and Oti 

Kelvin I-already-won Fletcher smashed it again. I didn't think Quickstep would necessarily suit him but this was light ...and reminiscent of Mr Gough all those moons ago. Not only was it delicious, with every accent hit with gusto; he looked as though he were having the time of his life. Where did this natural talent come from?! And the Paso! Firstly awesome song. Secondly, I thought his line was as Spanish as a paella named Pedro. The power,  the attack and the musicality were all spot on; he really lucked out with his semi-final dances. I think he's definitely got a free paso (sorry) to the final. 

Chris and Karen

He might be the underdog but he's keeping himself right on this train. His technique might not be up with the other two chaps but in terms of improvement, he's top dog. I did not for a second imagine he would learn to dance like this so all the kudos from me. I understand the scores but the public genuinely could keep him in. Getting a rumba though in the semi-final is a bit of a bust. He really tried but it wasn't fab. Whilst his Viennese was more than passable, his rumba was simple and sweet but yeah, not great. His musicality and performance were OK but near on zero body action were a shame, but not all that unexpected. 

Karim and Amy

I can't say much about the AT because I was distracted by his trousers. After I'd also finished shrieking VIIIINCENT, I did manage to spot some very nifty footwork. And I always approve of Libertango.  I found the American Smooth slightly underwhelming myself but I really don't like the song, so it possibly dampened it a little for me. He is very good and has visibly improved too - timing, performance and technique are all great - which overrides his DIRTY RINGAH status a little. 

1 comment:

VioletDaffodils said...

I 100% agree on your comments! I think Chris was done dirty getting a rumba for the semi-final such a shame as I think it will go against him in the results. Kelvin was incredible tonight, he was the only one who really wowed me with both dances, great dances and song choices for him tonight :D


www.violetdaffodils.com
xx