Sunday 19 September 2021

We're in the Mood for Dancing

Hello, Happy 2021, folks! (For the year does not truly start until Strictly Season is upon us.)

I cannot believe how quickly it has come round. One minute we are looking forward to the summer sunshine and in the blink of an eye we're snuggled in front of the TV tweeting our #StrictlySnacks (shout out to the lady last night with a bucket of wine.) 

Whilst last year's Strictly felt like a warm hug in the middle of chaos, this year seems far more normal and I have to confess, it's crept up on me; I'd even forgotten Anton was going to be a judge. Nevertheless, last night's show was a joy and here are some thoughts on the couples...

Robert and Diane 

When I first heard about Robert, I was like YES. HE. CAN. DANCE. But - can he dance seriously? Can he dance when he's not deliberately sending himself up? I'm not so sure. The wee clip of him in the group dance displayed a glimmer of self-consciousness and a man more awkward-of-movement than I expected. The choice Diane might need to make is do they join the race to the top, or join the Race To The Bottom™? If I were her, I'd give it a week or two, test him out, gauge the audience's reaction, then go for whichever is going to create the most joy. If that is the way of Bill Bailey, so be it; if that is the way of Russell Grant, then bring that on too.

Katie and Gorka

In a night full of northerners, here's our first reet proper one. (We'll claim her for Lancashire under the historic County borders.) I have to be honest, whilst her face was familiar to me, not being a big soap-watcher meant I wasn't quite sure who she was. But we've got to have a soap actor or two on the show from time to time. I didn't catch much of her in the group number, which means she didn't stand out either like a shining star, or a sore thumb. And going into Week One with no public expectations can be a powerful position. I'm looking forward to seeing what she can do. 

Rhys and Nancy

Well Rhys is a springy, zingy bundle of energy isn't he? I'm going to call him this year's Tigger. He certainly has some moves, looks to have rhythm...and, crucially, is clearly a natural showman. But can those moves be disciplined into something that resembles ballroom and latin? I have an inkling that they can, but perhaps in a way that keeps his own style, much like le olde Joe Sugg. And so glad that Nancy has a partner this year - their partnership reaction was adorable. 

Sara and Aljaz

Having not watched Dragons' Den for many years, I was still under the impression that Debra Medan was the sole flyer of the female flag on the show, but no. And Sara seems really popular going by the reaction to her taking part in Strictly. Again, I didn't really spot her in the group number so how good she's going to be is still in question. However, on googling her, I am impressed with what she's achieved and slightly put out she is younger than me. Pfft. Aljaz is just a sugary cupcake baked with joy and sprinkles, so we know she will be well looked after. I'm rooting for them because we've never had a winner quite like her, and I'm all for difference. 

Dan and Nadiya

Ah Dan, are you are first true dad dancer of the evening? There was a sweet awkwardness about his appearance in the group dance and he seems like a jolly nice chap. I haven't got all that much else to say however, as I don't think he's going to be a real contender in the competition. But that all could change with some charm and determination. Nadiya had a pretty good run with Davood back in 2017, but not much luck since. I'm going to call an early elimination... (disclaimrr: I'm often very, very wrong.)

Rose and Giovanni

Despite the disadvantage, Rose genuinely stood out in that group number as one to watch. She was graceful (particularly in the arms), bang on point and a natural performer. Her journey is going to be enlightening and we should all learn from it too. Representation and opportunity are so important; dancing is an absolute delight and everyone in the world should be encouraged to share it if they want to. I thought starting with a jive was an incredibly harsh choice, but after seeing them in the group dance I'm just plain excited. A couple to watch.

Adam and Katya

Another stand out performance in the group number. Add that to being coupled with the Queen of Choreography, Katya, and we could have absolute dynamite here. And who doesn't love an Olympian? I suspect they could be very, very popular. Shall we have a bet about how early in the series he dances to that  Spandau Ballet song? (You've got the power to know...)

AJ and Kai

Yaaaas, a proper Lancashire lass. She'll be reet gradely (I have lived in Lancashire my whole life and have literally never heard someone say that seriously). AJ seems warm and likable and full of energy. But Kai, I'm unsure- it's not always a disadvantage to have one of the new pros, but it is an unknown. Is he forgettable? Or could he be a new Kevin? It's incredibly disappointing AJ Pritchard is no longer on the show because I would have just paired them up for jive kicks and giggles. 

Greg and Karen

WILLOUGHBY! Let me not to the marriage of true minds... Wee fact: Shakespeare is not actually in the book of Sense and Sensibility; Marianne's poet of choice in the text is actually a chap called Cowper. But I digress. Mr Thompson is our second somewhat of a dad-dancer of the evening, but I'm pretty sure he has the potential to be polished up. He strikes me as the type who might take to ballroom more than the latin but contestants can surprise us in that respect. I'm expecting some regency costumes. Pride, Prejudice and Zombies for Halloween, anyone?

Judi and Graziano

I'm really excited about these two as well. Judi looked great in the group number, and I think has the potential to shine in the latin. Graziano just hasn't had the chance to show us what he can do after Vick Hope was eliminated way earlier than we all expected. Judi's humour should work in her favour too. I also love that she has a degree in social work. That is such a normal person thing to have and there's nothing I love more than someone close to being a normal everyday person as part of the Strictly cast.

John and Johannes

YES. YES. AND YES AGAIN. Firstly, about time (worth the Whaite...). Secondly, if I had to pick out the standout celeb from the group number, it would be John. Johannes has become one of my all time favourite professionals in the last couple of years and it is just perfect that he is part of the first male-male partnership. But back to the dancing. They were so in sync. It just worked. I am so excited to see these two progress. John is humbly crumbly sweet (see what I did there?) and I do so hope those nerves don't get the better of him. 

Nina and Neil 

Ah, someone ELSE who caught my eye in that group number (perhaps it's true this year and the standard genuinely will be really high). Neil slightly disappointed me somewhat when he was last partnered - but perhaps that wasn't his fault. We'd all been waiting so long and hyping it up, it was potentially always going to go that way. Maybe this is his year. I had heard of Nina. I could even have told you who she was. I also really like her. Fingers crossed! (But not whilst in hold, oh no...)

Tom and Amy

I might not have remembered this quite correctly as we have been going for oh so many years, but I think Frankie's fantasy Strictly playlist jive might have been Five Colours in Her Hair at some point. So yeah, it would be fun if they did that, or maybe for a quickstep. He's going to be compared to Harry Judd. Obviously. But is he in his league? We'll have to wait and see. Super cute that Amy is a proper fan. 

Tilly and Nikita

Who's your dad again, Tilly? But hey no, I jest. She's a social media influencer and has had her own show, so there's nowt wrong with her taking part. She also comes across as incredibly sweet. I always like the young 'uns to do well because I like the idea that they'll encourage other young 'uns to get dancing. 

Ugo and Oti

Now I'm actually convinced that Oti can do most things. But teach Ugo to dance really well? That might be a challenge. He seemed the most wooden of all the dancers yesterday but if anyone can do something about that, Oti can. Actually, I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if they win. This is Oti after all. She is the Queen of Everything. 


1 comment:

Janice B said...

Thanks for your blog which was bang on the nail as always! Keep dancing!! 🤩