Sunday 5 December 2021

The lifts are gonna get you...

Well this was a short episode, but wow it was exciting! In a case very much of quality rather than
quantity, everyone raised their game and was really going for it. Also, quick shout-out to the early Christmas-themed number which was as camp as, well Christmas, and an absolute delight. Oti and Grazi hamming it up and even some actual ballroom, it was like an early present. 
 
John and Johannes
One of two salsas this week, we've been really light on the salsa routines this year (other dips are available). Yes, it was more disco than salsa, but oh it was fun! John's more laid back style worked here and I really felt like he and Jojo were bringing a nightclub to our living rooms. The hips were good but I thought the knees were a bit too bent at times (is that a thing, Clover?) The lifts were indeed a bit ropey, but Jojo styled out his not-a-fall at the end like a charm.  

Adorably styled, I must say. Also, completely demonstrated the reason why, as a social salsa dancer, I always refused to be dipped or lifted. But it's live TV and these things happen. Knees, Frankie? Nothing wrong with his knees - as a non-codified latin dance, we're not looking for the snappy straight legs you'd expect in a cha cha or rumba, so all's good there. In fact, his salsa motion wasn't too bad at all. It's just a damned shame it was mostly a disco routine. 

Rhys and Nancy
I really wasn't sure how an Argentine Tango would work for Rhys, it's all about controlled energy. However, he certainly pulled it off, he's come on in leaps and bounds in the last few weeks. Not just in technical skill, but much-needed performance, I genuinely forgot that was Tigger-ish Rhys in this number. I personally think there were too many lifts and the floor spin was superfluous, but what an amazing step up after so many trips to the bottom two. Plus Nancy, what an absolute star!  

YEEEEES. Have I been on Team Rhys up until now? Nope, not really. But wow. I was not expecting this and I do love a positive surprise. This was by far my favourite dance of the night. Now, I chucked all my votes at AJ but then felt so guilty that Rhys deserved some, I cast my first. phone. vote. in. YEARS. I think it was the beautifully syncopated footwork that made it for me. If he swoops in now and steals the glitterball, with dances like this, good on him! 

Rose and Giovanni
What a delight of a ballroom routine. The song, the moves, the dress, it was all one pretty package and exactly what Rose needed after a couple of weeks in the doldrums. I was also watching it thinking, ooh these lifts are good and Rose does the transitions really well... and then THAT lift came along! Wow, can Rose actually fly? Was Gio levitating her? I was also impressed it wasn't gimmicky and the whole routine continued to flow after we all had our collective gasp. Top work guys, well done!

Lovely, lovely, lovely. As we have come to expect from these two. I think they might be one of the most adorable partnerships in all of Strictly history. And I do wonder whether they've already got this in the bag. In typical Rose fashion, this was charming, beautifully performed and she made it look so... easy. 

Dan and Nadiya 
Oh Dan, you've come so far and stayed so wholesome. I never would have expected he could do something resembling a proper tango and the start of this. Craig was right that there were balance issues and I think that affected his posture at times, but this week was still another improvement. Perfectly respectable, but everyone else is on fire tonight...

I've defended Dan's right to be in the competition up until now. His improvement has been astonishing, his attitude is an utter delight and he's genuinely a pleasure to watch. People who have been making out he's bad know nothing about dance. But there comes a point with the Dans of the world that the remaining contestants are just better, and that it is time to go. The other four could make the semi-final one of the best for years, and Dan's just that bit behind. If he makes the semis, I'll be happy for him, but I would be feeling genuinely sad this time that he's taking the place of someone extraordinary. 

AJ and Kai
This was the one dance I was nervous for tonight, since AJ hasn't had an amazing time with the party latin so far. And yeah...it turned into a bit of a hot mess. She gave it everything and performed to the max throughout, plus even with the dodgy lift at the end she and Kai just giggled away rather than falling flat. Good rhythm and synchronicity too, there were great things here, let's not just talk about the lifts!

Eeek, poor AJ and Kai! What a disaster! Let's just call this a loss. What we saw was clearly not what it was meant to look like. I'm hoping enough votes were cast to keep her out of the dance off, but if she's there, she does have a chance to pick it up and show us what we were meant to see! Whilst not salsa music, I can get always get on board with a party latin pop song - it has the right flavour and feel. This was all set up to be pretty decent - what as shame! 

No comments: