Sunday 30 September 2018

Still Standing (Sort of)

The problem with Week 2 is that after the razzmatazz and excitement of Week 1, it always feels a little flat. Last night's show was no exception and even the dances that got others excited didn't really get me going ...








Stacey and Kevin  
I basically want to be Stacey when I grow up. She's so cool. My opinion of Kevin varies from series to series and is very much dependent on his partner so of course this year I love him. I want them to win. There I said it and it's only Week 2. I didn't hate this dance. It was way too faffy but I got it. I think.

Charles and Karen 

I missed most of this performance because I was too busy drawing a Charles Venn diagram that Twitter did not find anywhere near as amusing as I did. Charles did look as though he was taking charge and leading at some points but his timing was a wee off. Why it's OK for Faye not to do heel leads but Charles got pulled up for it is beyond me. Oh yeah. The judges are really consistent. Ummm.

Katie and Gorka 

Katie isn't a dancer. Katie pretty much walked through this routine. Another one this evening with quite significant timing issues and I could visibly see her watching out for cues from Gorka. I'd like to see him work with her on performance, confidence  and styling for next week. It's not all about the steps, it's how you sell them.

Graeme and Oti 

Oh Oti,  you are mortal after all. I didn't like the choreography. It did not gel. But I like Graeme and think he has Darren Gough levels of potential. Oti needs to work on his technique and give up on the gimmicks.

Kate and Aljaz

Finally! This was more like it. Wouldn't have been my first choice for  tango piece but the band did a great job and it worked. Aljaz kept it classic-with-a-twist and that also worked. It had attack and it had class. Ones to watch. Also, Aljaz's reactions are my new favourite thing.

Joe and Diane  
Strictly, I hate you for making me suffer this song. This was quite divisive and I thought it was OK. What was extraordinary however was Joe's natural musicality. I'm going to defend Shirley's standing ovation here because what I think we're seeing with Joe is raw, unpolished, natural ability and it's really quite refreshing. Lee, Faye and Ashlee are so stylised in their approach but Joe is a surprise. Hurrah.

Susannah and Anton  
I don't think Susannah has the character to play on Anton's Antonness this year. I'm not enjoying. They're a Kate Garraway sort of pairing. Really bad before John Sargeant taught everyone to ham it up. She did improve though. I'll give her that.

Lee and Nadiya  
This was a genuinely good Week 2 jive but there's something a little off kilter about Lee and I can't put my finger on it. I should imagine he's going to pull off some wonderful dances over the next few weeks but I just can't imagine myself caring one jot.

Danny and Amy  
Now this made me sit up and watch. The movements were in the most part a little awkward but there was a energy about the routine I just couldn't ignore. And boy, Amy worked him hard. You could see he was really trying to work that latin leg motion and I applaud that. Timing and musicality excellent. Oh I do like to see natural talent shine through ... Another rough diamond.

Vick and Graziano  
Beautiful. So much better than last week. But if that was a waltz, I am a pancake.

Dr Ranj and Janette  
Part of me is pleased they chose a song with latin flavour. The other part is screaming IT SUCKS AND IS TOTALLY WRONG FOR SALSA. This obviously was not salsa. It's never salsa. They're a jolly pair though. I'll get over it.

Faye from Steps and Giovanni  
This was good. But I didn't care. It was a long show... and heel leads? Yeah. You just pulled Charles up for that Craig. Piffle.

Lauren and AJ  
I did not see much Charleston in this Charleston. Just saying. I'm losing the will to live now.

Seann and Katja  
This was the worst thing I have ever seen.  He danced the whole thing off time and I'm sorry, to be that bad at THAT means he might as well go home. I don't care how hard he tries. Poor Katja. Her face at the end was a picture.

Ashlee and Pasha  
Yeah yeah, she's good and I enjoyed it despite my best efforts to remain meh about it. Let's blame it on the boogie (wonderland) which is an altogether infectious song. Pasha's face. Oh if you could bottle that joy.

And so endeth the blog post. Apologies it gets grumpy towards the end... I'll lighten up as the shows get shorter. Possibly. 

No comments: